Protein powders are a quick, convenient way to get a hefty dose of protein in a single serving. Many powders can simply be mixed with water, juice or a plant-based milk for a high-protein, on-the-go snack. But we can be more creative than that! Here are a few of our favorite ways to use protein powder:
- Protein powder makes an excellent addition to smoothies, as it helps balance out the natural fruit sugars and carbohydrates with some satiating protein.
- You can also add protein powder to muffins, pancakes, cookies and other baked goods to boost protein content. Simply swap out part of the flour for protein powder!
Lucky for all of us, there are now TONS of great vegan protein powders on the market. There are also plenty of gluten-free, soy-free options. Hemp, rice, pea, soy, and all types of blends…there’s sure to be one that works for you! Here are a few great options:
- has two lines of raw, vegan protein powder – Raw Protein and Raw Meal (also available in chocolate and vanilla). A serving contains 17 grams of complete protein from sprouted brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, millet, and other whole grains!
- Living Harvest Organic Hemp Protein Powder comes in a traditional original flavor, as well as more exotic varieties like chocolate chili and vanilla spice. These varieties contain between 10 and 13 grams of protein per serving, from organic, cold-milled hemp.
- is also a great option for hemp protein powder. The company makes original and hi-fiber varieties of their regular protein powder, as well as an organic hemp shake in chocolate and vanilla flavors.
- makes several great flavors of rice protein powder, including a couple of organic options.
- makes a soy-free protein powder blend comprised of pea, artichoke, sprouted amaranth and quinoa. It’s available in a handful of awesome flavors, including vanilla bean, berry, chocolate, and unflavored. Each serving has 22 grams of easily digested protein!
- makes two great vegan protein powders – the Warrior Blend and the Classic Protein. The Blend is a soy-free mix of raw pea, cranberry, and hemp proteins, and comes in chocolate, vanilla, and natural flavors. The Classic protein powder is made from raw, sprouted brown rice, and comes in chocolate, vanilla, and natural flavors. Both varieties contain 16 grams of plant-based protein per serving, and are lightly sweetened with stevia, with no added sugars.
- makes a couple of great high-protein powder products: the Vega Energizing Smoothie, and Vega One Nutritional Shake. The energizing smoothie contains 10 grams of complete, plant-based protein and 5 grams of fiber per serving, and comes in 5 tasty flavors. The Nutritional Shake contains 16 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber per serving, and comes in Berry, Chocolate, Vanilla Chai and Natural flavors.