I love the convenience of energy bars, but I don’t love the ingredients in most of them! I’ve made date and nut based energy bars and chia seed energy bars ( a favorite at our house), but I’ve been experimenting with a recipe that would be largely coconut based, nut free and a healthy alternative to sugary snacks when my kids are around other kids.
The kids also requested that I include chocolate in these energy bars, and this recipe was born.
They’ve been a big hit! The only downside is that they have to be refrigerated to keep their firmness, but taste-wise, they are wonderful! Do you ever make snack bars at home? What’s your favorite recipe?
An easy, healthy, grain-free energy bar made with chocolate, coconut and honey for an energy-boosting snack.
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Snack
- ¼ cup (or more to taste) honey
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- ½ cup Chia Seeds (optional, can use extra Shredded Coconut instead)
- vanilla to taste (optional)
- for extra sweetness (optional, to taste)
- Melt the cocoa butter in a small pan over low heat.
- Add coconut oil and melt.
- Add honey and stir well.
- Stir in cocoa powder.
- Stir in chia seeds (optional) and/or Shredded Coconut.
- Add vanilla, stevia tincture or other flavors to taste (optional).
- Pour into a parchment paper lined 9x13 baking dish and refrigerate for 1 hour or until hardened (can also freeze).
- Cut into squares/bars and enjoy!